Friday, February 13, 2009

Pasta with Shrimp, Zuccini, and Yellow Squash

So I was feeling adventurous the other night and whipped this up on my own. I was pleasantly surprised that the flavors came together for me and yet I was missing sauce. I suppose I could have tweaked it by adding additional liquids to simmer down and thicken up but this worked well for me as a first try at whipping up something I'd never done before, sans recipe.

1/3 lb seasoned shrimp (I purchased a garlic and herb blend from my seafood counter but you could use and blend that you would like. I think a citrus would possibly have worked better)
1/2 zuccini cut into chunks
1/2 yellow squash cut into chunks
olive oil
clove of garlic minced
white wine
1/2 lime
salt
pepper

I started by heating the garlic in a small amount of oil until I could smell it. I tossed the zuccini and yellow squash with olive oil, salt, and pepper to coat and then added that to the pot. Cooked for about 8 minutes (but I could be wrong, our power went out twice at this point and I was cooking blind by the light of the flames) I added the shrimp and cooked until opaque. Power went out again but I was able to locate my wine bottle and half lime by the time it came back on. I added the juice of 1/2 lime and some white wine. (should have used more than i did) cooked together until the veggies were browned and the shrimp was completely cooked.
- While I was doing this I had thin spaghetti boiling in some water (wish I had angel hair)

I drained the spaghetti and added to the pain. drizzled just a little bit more olive oil on and cooked together for a few more minutes.

I may have killed the zuccini and squash as they were a bit too cooked but overall I got the concept. I liked the flavors together. the lime gave a little bit of zing!

Enjoy!

No comments: